Thursday, 6 March 2014

Favourite books from my childhood

To mark World Book Day I thought I'd write a list of ten books I loved as a child. I still enjoy flicking through children's books in Waterstones, and marveling at the beautiful illustrations inside, it's so comforting looking back through books I treasured when I was a kid. What were your favourite books growing up - I'd love to know!

1. Burglar Bill by Janet & Allen Ahlberg
A funny children's classic about one of the nicest burglars you'll ever meet.
2. Dogger by Shirley Hughes
This is a sweet story about a boy who loses his toy dog. Every child can relate to his pain!
3. Alpaca by Rosemary Billam
A story about a rabbit called Alpaca who gets forgotten amongst the other toys.
4. Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
Although the story is slightly scary as a child this book is still amazing.
5. The Jolly Postman by Janet & Allen Ahlberg
I really loved undoing the envelopes and reading other people's letters.
6. Famous Five series by Enid Blyton
A must-read for every ten year old, I'd stay up late at night to finish Enid Blyton books. Not to mention the amazing Magic Faraway Tree series.
7. The Worst Witch series by Jill Murphy
Before Harry Potter there was Mildred Hubble!
8. The Magic Finger by Roald Dahl
I enjoyed most of Roald Dahl's books but this was a favourite; a strange tale about a girl who zapped a group of duck hunters with her magic finger and turned them into ducks. Yes!
9. Esio Trot by Roald Dahl
This made me really want a tortoise of my own.
10. The Fiend next Door (and others) by Shirley Lavelle
I also loved this series, about a girl and her best friend Angela who always ends up getting her into trouble.

6 comments:

  1. I love your list Laura! My all-time favourite was Wind in the Willows. I can still remember the opening line...'The mole had been working very hard all morning, spring cleaning his little home' ....and now I'm back by the riverbank :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Wind in the Willows is great - i also forgot about Winnie the Pooh!

      Delete
  2. Burglar Bill! I had forgotten all about that book and I used to LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still flick through the jolly postman even now, its such a great book! I had a book called 'children like me which i took everywhere- it was basically about children from all over the world- i read it over and over again and it had some lovely accompanying stationary as I recall! I was also a big fan of goosebumps, horrible histories and of course Roald Dahl - the twits was my favourite of his :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes yes yes and yes. I love so many of these books! Burglar Bill is a top favourite in my family, Dogger still makes me cry, and I think the Jolly Postman contributed to my love of all things postal. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha we had loads of the same favourites - I'd forgotten about The Magic Finger and The Fiend Next Door :)

    ReplyDelete