Sunday, 2 March 2014

Making Vegetarian Pesto

I recently purchased a brand new food processor, and the first thing I wanted to make was fresh pesto. It is one of the easiest things ever to make and only takes a few minutes to whizz up enough to last a week. If you're vegetarian it can be extremely hard to buy veggie pesto as it normally includes parmesan which is impossible to make without animal rennet*. So my version omits the parmesan and is perfectly fine without. I wasn't sure what cheese to replace parmesan with but if you are having it with pasta just sprinkle some cheddar on top and it tastes lovely.

Time taken: 10mins

Ingredients:
50g pine nuts (this uses about half a standard pack)
150ml olive oil (note this does seem a lot but you need to add a small portion at the end if you're storing it in the fridge for a while)
a large bunch of fresh basil leaves
2 garlic cloves

1. You can either toast the pine nuts by frying them for a few minutes (note, they burn easily so keep an eye on them!) but you can also add them fresh if you prefer.
2. Pour all the ingredients into a food processor and whizz until smooth. Store in a jar or pastic container. The pesto will keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.

Recipe ideas: as well as with pasta I added the pesto to some tasty baguettes with halloumi and salad which was great. Next time I want to try adding sundried tomatoes, yum. Any other ideas for pesto flavours to try?

(*animal rennet comes from the stomach of a baby cow.. eep!)

5 comments:

  1. This looks incredibly delicious!
    Bad thing I'm not really good at the kitchen :( but I'll look for someone to cook this for me because I really wanna try it!

    Following you from now on :)

    Cat.-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cat thanks for following! It's not too hard to make, you should try it! :-)

      Delete
  2. Ooh I had no idea it would be so easy to make from scratch! Yummy vegan pesto coming up...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I should've mentioned it's also vegan!

      Delete
  3. Sainsbury's do an "Italian-style hard cheese" which is veggie

    ReplyDelete