Thursday, 14 August 2014

Five great podcasts

Now that my commute is approximately 40x longer than it was in my previous job (for realz) I have had to come up with good ways to pass the time on my bus journey. Luckily there are lots of great podcasts out there, here are five I've been enjoying lately..


1. WTF with Marc Maron
Comedian Mark Maron has interviewed some brilliant creative folks on his WTF podcast, including Claire Danes, Lena Dunham, Moon Zappa, Steve Malkmus and the late Robin Williams. I like how casual and natural his conversations are, and how unlike a lot of interviewers out there Maron actually lets people talk.


2. This American Life
This is a staple podcast that I've been listening to for several years now hosted by the wonderful Ira Glass. Each week there's a theme which binds together true stories by different Americans. It's made me laugh and cry.


3. The Savage Lovecast
Dan Savage is a straight-talking (gay) man who dishes out no-frills sex and relationship advice on his weekly phone-in show. Although I sometimes disagree with his advice it's always entertaining hearing Dan's no nonsense words of wisdom, and you'll find yourself learning interesting new phrases, such as GGG...


4. Freakonomics
A recent discovery after watching the film on Netflix, each podcast takes a different subject and looks at it from an economics perspective. Topics range from how much your name matters to how to make people quit smoking and why people choose to get married.


5. Stuff You Should Know
This is Tom's favourite podcast and is presented by two nice chaps who choose different subjects every week and investigate them. Shows include how chocolate works, how guide dogs work, how bipolar disorder works... quite a diverse range!

Do you have any podcast recommendations? If so please let me know.. (as I get through a lot!)

11 comments:

  1. I am seriously obsessed with Nerdist, it's three comedians who talk to other comedians and actors and nerds. It's my absolute favorite podcast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I've heard of Nerdist, I'll have to give it a listen, thanks!

      Delete
  2. Ooh awesome, I love finding new podcasts! I really only listen to Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo's film one and Graham Norton's radio show podcast, both are hilarious, and the Good Read one on occasion. I was listening to the BBC history extra one but the guy on that is so. dull. and. scripted. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the Mark Kermode one is good too, I've just downloaded his top 5 worst films of the year podcast, should be entertaining hehe.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE THIS AMERICAN LIFE! For months a couple of friends kept quoting stories from it and urging me to listen. When I eventually downloaded an episode I was hooked. Now I'm the one who starts so many conversations with, "Do you listen to This American Life?"

    I've also listened to Freakomics a bit. I've not seen the film but I've read the first book, and I'm working my way through Superfreakonomics at the moment. Well worth a read!

    My recommendation is RadioLab, which I love as much as This American Life (they're pretty similar in my mind, with different topics per episode - although they also do 'shorts' which are focused on one story in particular). I also like listening to the BBC's Documentary of the Week, and the World Service documentaries.

    Lots of wonderful listening to be had!

    B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes TAL is very addictive! Its just a shame on the weeks when they air repeats!

      I'll have to look out for the book, sounds good and will look up RadioLab too, thanks x

      Delete
  4. I think Stuff You Should Know is also Ben's (and maybe my) fav podcast! We listen to a lot of that and Freakonomics. I'll have to check out the other - thanks for the recommendations! At the mo I am listening to some Spanish learning ones like 'Coffee Break Spanish', and I sometimes listen to the Times Higher Education podcast to keep abreast of HE news for work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As much as I try, I can never get into This American Life. I don't know why. Are there any episodes I should restart with? I wish I could enjoy it like others do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm a couple of my faves are the Father's Day episode (i tried to search but there are several!), Break Up (ep 339) and one about an abandoned house (http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/199/house-on-loon-lake). Also the podcasts about Harper High School are brilliant. I do find them a bit hit & miss, a lot of them I'll start and not finish! I really enjoyed Act 3 of this one too, featuring Molly Ringwald: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/526/is-that-what-i-look-like

      Delete
  6. New reader here :) I really like TAL too and I also listen to The Moth, which is very similar, Here's the Thing with Alec Baldwin, This Feels Terrible and Totally Laime. Somebody just recommended Betty in the sky with a suitcase to me too so I'll give that a go soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks for stopping by and cheers for the recommendations, I'll have to investigate those ones!

      Delete